Competition Performance Team
Big Star Performing Arts Studio offers serious performers an opportunity to participate in a competitive level program we call CPT. This program is an incredible experience for students and families. The growth and bonds students experience from the start of the season in September to the end of the season in June is unmatched in any of our other programs!
TEAMS for CPT 2023/2024
Big Star Competition Performance Team is split by both grade and ability levels –Minis, Juniors, Pre-Teens, Teens, Seniors, and Production (JTF Group). This allows for age and skill level appropriate pieces in a more focused setting with additional opportunities for solos, duos, trios, select groups and small groups.
We will have two select groups for the upcoming season. All of these performances will have some element of signing, acting and movement.
All CPT members are required to commit a minimum to their grade level group training class (1 or 1.5 hours), one dance class (1 hour) and one 30-minute vocal class at the studio every week (2.5-3 hours total). If you are doing Extra Work (solo, duo, trio, small or select groups) you are required to have a minimum of 5 training hours at the studio each week. All CPT classes run September- end of May.
Required in these 5 hours of training if you are doing extra work are your grade level group team, one vocal class or private vocal lesson, one dance class, and one community class (Young Professionals Audition Class is highly recommended!). Please make sure when signing up your performer meets the 5-hour minimum requirement.
CPT Production/JTF class on Thursday is optional. This will be our production number that not only goes to competitions but will also be our Junior Theatre Festival class. If you are committing to being a part of our Production/JTF group you will be making a commitment to travel to Sacramento, California February 9-11th 2024 for the festival with our JTF team. This group will meet on Thursday for 1.5 hours and be creating a piece to take to competitions as well as a piece to take to the Junior Theatre Festival to compete.
Here is more information on JTF: https://juniortheaterfestival.com/what-we-do/
Getting hours can be achieved easily through the CPT classes, any of our community classes and any private lessons or our Full-Scale Musical Production class. These classes will start the week of September 5th and run through June.
It is a requirement that all CPT members participate in one of our Summer Stock productions over the summer. This keeps the kids continued training throughout summer with a full-scale production challenging and improving their vocals, acting and stage presence as well as dancing and movement.
It is a requirement that all CPT members participate in one of our two Summer Stock productions over the summer along with 2 workshops of their choosing throughout the summer. This keeps the kids continued training throughout summer with a full-scale production challenging and improving their vocals, acting and stage presence as well as dancing and movement. Kids can choose the summer workshop of their liking as we will have a variety of fun and challenging 2-hour workshops throughout the summer months!
Our competitions will be between January and May and there will be four competitions. The Junior Theatre Festival is an OPTIONAL competition to attend. Spotlight will be a competition that is OPTIONAL as well. All solos, duos, trios and small groups will have the option to compete at this comp if everyone in the group would like to attend. Four of these competitions will be regional comps. The fifth competition will be our Big Star hosted In House Competition. We are traveling to Las Vegas Nevada and Portland Oregon for the 23/24 season. Most of these competitions take up the majority of the weekend. It is expected that performers are available Fri, Sat and Sunday of comp weekends. Occasionally there are comps that kids perform on a Thursday evening. In most cases, these will be the oldest kids on the team. We will do our best to get the schedule to you asap, but it is often that we do not get it until 7-14 days before the comp.
This is a very important part of being on CPT. Attendance is mandatory. While we understand that things do happen – someone gets hurt or sick, family emergencies – we expect that CPT is given high priority. When one person is not there, the entire team suffers. When performers are not in class, they are not progressing in the routine and other students are also not learning the correct routine because formations, vocals and staging are negatively impacted when one person is missing. This requires extra time from our teachers to re-teach parts, making sure nothing is out of sync and everyone has the ability to give their very best performance. If you are unable to make it to class, it will be expected that you Zoom in for class assuming you are well enough to do so. If you are unable to make any of the listed competitions above, you will need to speak with Jessica and Corey to determine if you are eligible for CPT 2023-2024.
Allowed absences: Please stay home if you are experiencing ANY Covid symptoms, are contagious or have a fever. If an injury is preventing you from participating in class, you will still be expected to attend class to watch so you don’t fall behind. One unexcused absence per session (12-week sessions) will be permitted, no absences are allowed 2 weeks prior to any performance/competition, missing class may result in being pulled from the routine. Excused absences are illness, school related that are requirements and pre planned family vacations where the staff is notified.
If we feel that the performer is falling behind due to missed rehearsals the family will be asked to schedule a private lesson to catch up at an extra expense. The performer may be removed from the team if there are too many absences. No refunds will be made if you are removed from the team.
EXTRA WORK CLASSES
Extra Work is a solo, duo, trio, or small group. All extra work is OPTIONAL. If you are chosen to participate in a Solo, Duo, Trio or Small Group please plan to be charged your choreography fee on September 5th. Once your time slot is arranged that will be your time slot for the comp season Sept-May. If you are unable to rehearse during a scheduled time you need to provide 24 hours’ notice. We will not be able to do make-up for students due to missed lessons. The way the schedule is being done for solos, duos and trios does not accommodate make-ups. If it is a competition weekend rehearsal will not be held on Fridays and Saturdays for solos, duos, and trios because teachers and students will be attending competitions. We will not do make-ups on these weekends as students will be running and working their solos, duos, trios all weekend. If it is a Big Star Showcase weekend the Saturday schedule will be held on Sunday that weekend only. The Dates that the extra work will be held on Sunday, December 3rd and March 10th! Please mark your calendar now. Extra work will start the week of September 5th and run through May 2024!
This year all extra work will be on Friday and Saturday. Each student working on extra work will be working with Jessica, David, and Eric. David will work on vocals, Eric will work on character development and Jessica will work on choreography. One week will be vocals, one week character, one week of choreography, and the final week will be with Jessica pulling all of it together and running the full piece. This is a huge benefit for the kids to get to work with all of our teachers to develop their competition extra work pieces. They will all still have a 30-minute time slot and will rotate through the teachers every month. The time will be more focused and greatly help our students advance in all three areas of performance.
IMPORTANT DATES to get ON YOUR CALENDAR for 2023/2024
- North Bend Days Parade & Booth: August 12th 2023
- Snoqualmie Days Parade & Booth: August 19th 2023
- Summerstock Performance: August 25th, 26th, 27th 2023
- Snoqualmie Ridge Block Party & Booth: September 9th 2023
- Big Star all studio Holiday Showcase (Carco Theatre) Saturday December 2nd 2023. Extra Work takes place on Sunday, Dec 3rd instead of December 2nd 2023
- In-House Competition Jan 6th 2024 TBD waiting on theatre space
- Access Broadway Las Vegas: January 26-28th 2024
- Production of Fall/Winter Musical: Feb 3rd 2024 TBD waiting on theatre space
- JTF Junior Theatre Festival Sacramento CA: Feb 9-11th 2024 (optional). Extra Work takes place on Sunday March 10th (Studio being used for Winter Showcase on Saturday, March 9th)
- Celebrity Seattle: March 22-24th 2024
- On Stage New York Portland OR: May 3-5th 2024
- CPT & Summer Stock Auditions (Big Star Studios): Saturday, May 11th 2024
- Spotlight Seattle: May 17-19th 2024
- Summer Stock Call Backs (Big Star Studios): June 1st & 2nd 2024
- Production of Spring Musical: Saturday, June 15th 2024 TBD waiting on theatre
- Big Star Spring Showcase: Saturday, June 22nd 2024 TBD waiting on theatre
- Summer Stock Begins: Monday, June 24th
- Summerstock Lock In: Aug 17th & 18th 2024
- Summer Stock Performance: Friday, August 24th, 25th & 26th 2024 TBD waiting on theatre space
How much does it cost?
There are many costs associated with being on CPT. It can be very expensive. It can also be reasonable depending on what you want to do for the season. At a minimum you have to take your age group ($100-$140), a dance class ($100) and a vocal class ($65) this is a minimum monthly total of $265-$305. I am listing the MINIMUM next to each fee so that you can see the base starting costs of team. It can obviously go up if you add more classes, more extra work, etc.
- Competition Fees ($170 x 3 required comps this is based on 2023 pricing)
- Monthly Tuition ($265-$305 age group, dance, vocal)
- Costumes (2 routines one-time fee approx. $150)
- Choreography Fee (2 groups one-time fee $100)
- Travel Expenses (see attached for approx. cost of travel)
- Coaches Travel Fee (one-time fee of $400 or spread out in 4 installments)
- In House Comp Fee (TBD, last year was $225 one-time fee)
COMPETITION FEE PAYMENT SCHEDULE
- Choreography Fee: Due Sept 5th
- Access Broadway Comp Fee: Due December 5th
- In-House Comp Fee: Due January 5th
- Celebrity Comp Fee: Due February 5th
- On Stage Comp Fee: Due March 5th
- Spotlight Comp Fee: Due April 5th (Optional)
- Coaches Fee to be split over 4 payments Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar along with competition fees. Can be made in one-time payment anytime if you prefer. • JTF will be determined once we know how many kids are participating and if we officially get into the program. Again, this is optional!
MONTHLY TUITION FEES
- $135 for .5 hours (solos) optional
- $95 for .5 hours (duos/trios) optional
- $65 for .5-hour group class (vocal) required
- $95 for 1.0 hour (group classes) dance/age group required
- $140 for 1.5-hour (group classes) age group required
Unlimited 6+ Class Hours (does not include solos or private lessons)
- 1 child $640
- 2+ children $770
For every Solo, Duo, Trio, and group number there is a one-time choreography fee. This is a fee that covers the teacher’s time to choose the piece, pick and cut the music and track, often teachers may create the track just for that student, choreograph the piece, costume the piece, and coordinate the scheduling of the piece. Choreography fees will be due on September 5th and will be charged only one time for the season.
- SOLO – $175
- DUO – $95
- TRIO – $70
- GROUPS – $50
Every competitive routine your child is in will require a costume. Once our instructors have picked the costumes for the pieces your child is in, you will be sent the links to purchase these pieces. If you can shop around and save money, that is fine and is left up to your discretion as long as the pieces the instructor has requested are purchased and brought in on the costume due date. In some cases, you will be able to look around on different sites for costume pieces but there will often be times you will have to purchase exactly what is provided in the costume link that is sent. This is often the case with a Solo, Duo and Trio costume where all the performers are in the exact same thing. There are also some cases where parents may have to reimburse Big Star for costumes that need to be ordered from sites that require studio licensing to order.
COMPETITION GEAR EXPENSE
Each performer will need the following items in order to participate on the CPT:
- Team jacket ($100.00)
- Team T-shirt ($35.00)
- Black Leggings and/or solid black pants (can purchase leggings on your own or through Big Star when we open the store in the fall)
- Black Jazz shoe (purchase on your own)
- Character Shoes (depending on routines)
- Base layers/foundations (purchase on your own)
Attendance at competitions is mandatory for CPT performers. We will attend three required regional competitions this year PLUS our at home Big Star hosted In House Competition. For each competition there will be entry fees assessed by the competition. Each routine you participate in will have a fee attached in order to compete. Below is an estimate of competition fees based on the type of performance. All these figures are based off the 2022/23 competitive fees. They may be a little bit more but not much.
Our In-House Competition is a really fun event with food, drinks and is a great way to kick off our competition season. In the past the fee for this In House Comp was $225 for the day. This includes 2 tickets, and helps cover the cost of theater rental, judge’s fees, awards, food, beverages, and staffing for the day.
- Solo Performance: $150.00 competition fee (per student)
- Duo: $95.00 competition fee (per student)
- Trio: $95.00 competition fee (per student)
- Group: $85.00 competition fee (per student)